Friday

Post Valentines Day Reflections

Well, I made it through my first Valentines Day as a designer.  It was pretty intense.  17 hours of work and at least 50 arrangements created.

The one thing that really stood out to me during the whole process was the lack of creativity in designs for this holiday. I put together a lot of pink or red carnations and pink or red roses, the smallest of which cost $45.  There was only one design that was fun and creative to make:


I created two of this particular design and had a lot of fun.  Otherwise, I did a lot of these and a lot of these.   Boring!

Here's a little secret for all you consumers out there:  when you see the pictures on these floral sites, you are only seeing a one sided image.  There are no flowers on the back side of those designs.  The challenge for designers like me, is making the designs look like that, but only using the amount of flowers required for the "recipe".  The only way to get it to look like the picture is to add flowers and eat the cost.  

So next year when you are ordering flowers for your Valentine, call the shop itself instead of using Teleflora or 1-800 flowers, and order "designers choice"  you'll get a lot more bang for your buck and be supporting the shop more.

No comments:

Post a Comment