Tuesday

The Learning Curve

People have asked me to post photos of my class projects that I do every week.  I am in two floral design classes currently.  One is a basic review for me, and the other is learning new techniques.  Last nights class, we went over radial designs.  The thing with radial designs is that all the flowers need to be radiating out of one central spot in the design.  Its up to the designer if he/she wants it to be in the center, off to the side, etc.

The challenge for me, was to create a design with very few materials on hand.  I had one stem of leather fern, one stem of lemon leaf, 3 dahlias, 4 carnations, wax flower, poms and steel grass.  Since I had such a small amount of covering materials, I decided to design close to the foam to guarantee maximum coverage.  

I started by taking the stem lemon leaf and broke it down to single leaves and layered them diagonally across the foam.  Then I took the fern and broke that down and layered it in the opposite direction with one side a bit larger for some drama.  I then took the dahlias and created a focal center piece and used the was flower and the green poms as extra coverage.  I then wrapped the steel grass in bouillon wire and created a repetitive frame for the design.  

Here's how it turned out:


This piece would be great for a cocktail table at a special event or for your coffee table.  I will post tonights project tomorrow...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment