Monday

Cathedral of Flowers


The Cathedral of Flowers event in San Francisco was interesting.  I went on the Sunday  which was the last day of the event, and I wasn’t as impressed with it as I thought I would be.  There were very few designs that really caught my attention.  Here are the ones I did like:
This design was supposed to represent the ‘living waters of baptism’.  The use of monochromatic color really worked nicely and I loved the way the center looked like a fountain.
This design by Deacon Kyrill was for Our Lady of Fatima Russian Greek Catholic church.  I love the use of line with the orchids and the painted curly willow.

I have no idea how this design by Jose Tiburcio is supposed to represent St. Philip the Apostle, but I love the color play and the pave technique.



This design was fun as well.  It was to represent St. Mary Star of the Sea in Sausalito and was designed by MaryLee Bickford.  Below is a  close up of the detail work with the skeleton leaves and seashells as well as the full effect of the design.





This design was on the podium and it had a matching partner on the other side.  I was intrigued by it so I took a closer look.  The base is basically a pole that has painted twigs bound to it, then there are yellow vanda orchids spraying out with crystal garland and sunflowers at the base.  It was very stunning.



These last few pictures, I didn't record the name, but I thought they were interesting compared to the work of art they represented:


Since this was my first time attending this event, I wonder how this years festival compares to past years.  If anyone has attended, please comment and let us know!


No comments:

Post a Comment