Monday

A 30th Anniversary party

Last weekend, I put together a small gathering to celebrate my parents 30th wedding anniversary.  We had the party in our back yard, and of course it was the hottest day of the summer so far!

Some tips for planning a back yard gathering like this:

Think of lighting:  We had small chinese lanterns strung across the patio ceiling.  It created a nice mood lighting that wasn't too harsh and gave off just the right amount of light.  We also surrounded the patio with tiki torches and lit them later in the evening.  This kept the mosquitoes away and provided more mood lighting.

Recreating moments:  My parents got married in a church that didn't allow dancing so they never got a "first dance" as a married couple.  I quizzed them on a few of their favorite songs and announced a dance for them.  This is a great way to get other people moving at the party and a sweet way to recreate a moment from the couples wedding.  I also ordered a small wedding cake from a local bakery and had their original cake topper on the cake which of course, they shoved in each other's face just like 30 years ago!

  A few other ideas include reciting their vows, having the best man or maid of honor make a toast and of course having their wedding scrapbook out for the guests to enjoy!

Making new moments:  I decided to take a cue from modern weddings and created a "photo booth" area that had props and costumes for guests to enjoy.  I also attached photo's of my parents to the drape back ground for guests to look at.

Finding the right caterer:  I had the biggest problem with this.  I wanted something small and more finger foods than dinner foods so I decided that Whole Foods would be a great option.  However, they were impossible to get a hold of and had no way to leave messages.  If you decide to go with Whole Foods catering, make sure to call them weeks in advance!  Also, you'd be surprised how many smaller restaurants that you go to often cater events as well.  I ended up using a local Mediterranean restaurant and the food was amazing!

It was a very successful party and a great memory for my parents!  Here are some pictures for you to enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment